Nursery Bed (Dec 6, 2008)
While cleaning our yard we discovered a struggling little plant with a shriveled tiny eggplant on it. The guys building a fence around our yard explained that it was still viable and that people grow little gardens in the dry season by pouring their wash water and old kitchen water on plants.
In my kitchen, I have a big black tank with a spigot that Michael fills for me every day so that I have water. A few times a day I use it to fill two little basins with sudsy and clean water for washing dishes. I had been just pouring the water out the back door when I was finished, feeling like I should be doing something with it. These guys suggested that I plant a small nursery plot with their help.
We all were in for an education in dry season cultivation. We poured a lot of water on a patch of land and one of the guys used a hoe to turn the soil. A small raised area remained and it was patted flat and lines were dug with a stick. That is where Liana dropped her eggplant seeds, Gaby scattered his tomatoes seeds and Acacia put her Swiss chards seeds. Then dry grasses were laid on top. For three days we’ve watered in the morning with the water from washing the clothes and at night from the dish water. (No one seemed alarmed that suds were going on the plants). Today they began to germinate and we saw some green shoots bending out of the soil.
We removed the grasses. Strong sticks were put on the edges and long sticks laid across for a frame. The grasses were laid on the frame, this time they were raised so that light and air can reach the plants, while not allowing the sun to scorch the plants or having all the water evaporate from the soil. They also reused the plastic that our mattresses came in to wrap around the edge. They were held down with rocks. This should keep the chickens that wander around here out. By next Wednesday we can remove the grasses totally and after another week we’ll transplant the seedlings.
I have never had a green thumb, so I am glad to have help with such a task. I’m excited, because I thought we’d have to wait until the rains to plant.
No comments:
Post a Comment