Last week we received the sad news that a good friend and
community leader, Kenneth Korayi, had died after a long battle with
cancer. Kenneth was a former director of
the Mundri Relief and Development Association, and in many other ways provided
remarkable leadership in the service of his community. I would often go to him for advice and spent
many fruitful hours discussing the needs and opportunities for development.
I preached a sermon recently about wisdom and creativity using
the account of Solomon in I Kings 3-4. I
talked about Kenneth as an example of a modern day Solomon who was wise in
areas of science, politics, economics, architecture, building, project
management and who used that wisdom to serve the community and to glorify God.
Thousands of people came from the local community and from
elsewhere in South Sudan to honor the life of Kenneth and to mourn his
passing. He was buried in front of the
county office. In the last months of his
life, Kenneth formed a foundation to facilitate improved science education in
South Sudan through training of teachers and provision of scholarships for
science students. I would like to
recruit a science teacher to help implement this vision.
We are sad and shocked and wonder why Kenneth was taken from us. We can only pray that, just as a seed dies and is buried and multiplies, many others will be inspired by Kenneth’s example and serve with wisdom and courage and passion as he did. We pray for comfort for the friends and family, particularly Kenneth’s wife, Janet and their three children. May Kenneth rest in peace and rise again in the glory of the new creation.
No comments:
Post a Comment