Chaper 2: Into the early part of the 7th century, the 3 Christian Nubian Kingdoms thrived. The Persians invaded Egypt and burnt churches. The Islamic force was unable to conquer Nubia. It was the first time they failed to conquer. A treaty (baqt) of non-aggression was signed between Nubian and the Arabs. As proof of the agreement, yearly, the Muslims in Egypt provided wheat, lentils, horses, cloth, clothes, etc. The Nubians gave slaves (mostly prisoners of war), incense, ivory, performing baboons, elephant tusks, etc.
Two of the Nubian Kingdoms combined into one and enjoyed a season of flourishing. The unity "provided the foundation for the development of a strong Christian Nubian kingdom that was respected by its neighbors and developed ...politically, economically, cultrally, in the various forms of art, and in religious faith and expression." (Werner)
2 comments:
Thanks, Karen, I'm enjoying these posts.
Ben, Thanks for getting this hard-to-find book for me. It's such a big fat book, I'd been a bit intimidated by it. But I'm enjoying it, despite the hard work of slogging through it.
Post a Comment