Saturday, June 11, 2011

Memorial Prayers and Dog Recovery Adventure

I travelled yesterday to the neighboring town of Lui to attend a memorial service for the late Bishop Bullen Doli, former bishop of our sister diocese who passed away recently.  It was a nice five hour service including placing a cross on his grave and giving thanks for his life and ministry.

After a delicious feast it was about 5:30pm and I set out on my secondary mission - recovery of our dog, Chai, who was being cared for by someone in Lui in our absence.  It took about 20 minutes to find Yaka, the young man who knew the whereabouts of the dog.  He informed me that the dog was no longer in town, but being cared for at the Sharland's nursery down by the river.  He said it was 'a bit far' but that we could drive there in about 20 minutes.  So we set off -- This was the first of a series of decisions to continue - for the sake of my kids at home longing for their dog and because I had already come this far....

Yaka's time estimate would not have been too far off except for the effect of recent rain on the condition of the 'road'.  We bush-wacked around fallen trees and about 15 minutes into the journey came to a steep, muddy, stream crossing.  I tried to 4 wheel drive across but got badly stuck.  Thanks to our awesome electric winch on the front of the car I as able to tie on to a tree on the far side and pull us across.  This process took 10-15 minutes.  But we forged ahead, having already come this far...

About 10 minutes later we came across another steeper muddier river crossing and I realized we could not cross.  By this time the light was fading and big thunder storm was approaching.  We considered turning back, but opted instead to jog the remaining 10 minutes to the home where we found Chai.  She growled and barked at first, but then sniffed and licked my hand and remembered me and began to wag her tail.  After the time to sit, greet, and negotiate payment for caregiving and compensation for the NINE chickens Chai had eaten, we were on our way back...

We once again got stuck and winched our way across the stream just as it got dark and the rain began to fall.  By the time we reached the main road it was pitch black and raining hard.  Two hours after setting out, I collected my delayed and worried traveling companions and we returned to Mundri in the storm.  Mission accomplished!  Courage and perseverance or foolishness?  I don't know - but it feels like a metaphor for our lives sometimes.  We slog through mud and storms and wonder if we're doing the right thing - but somehow God accomplishes his mission and he has faithfully brought us this far.... 

3 comments:

Lou and Beth LaBrunda said...

So glad you are safely back in Mundri with your kids and Chai...a home away from home - which I guess is the case for all of us.

Thank you for sharing the story and for your perserverence. Hope to be a part - somehow, some way.

- Beth LaBrunda

DrsMyhre said...

The NINE chickens . . that made me laugh . . at least you didn't have to worry about her wasting away. Glad for the reunion. You're a good dad even if the whole thing was a bit risky.

Dunaleigh said...

I know about chicken eating dogs:)
It is a tremendos blessings to hear of your perseverance, faith and great good will. Laurie