Monday, March 23, 2009

The charcoal oven

A man cut and welded a metal drum into the form of a box with a door.  It has a ledge around the top for charcoal and holes in the bottom for heat to rise from charcoal below.  Ian and Kyle created a clay/mud bowl for the charcoal we put underneath.

 

Without an oven thermometer, I underestimated the temp and the three loaves of bread we put into the oven were charred on the top within 20 min.  The chocolate chip cookies and the biscuits that went in next were perfect.  There is a steep learning curve, but I think this is going to work out.

 

Fridays will be baking day and I’ll do all the baking for the week: some bread, granola, cookies, etc. 

 

With rainy season on it’s way, I’m not sure how to navigate the rain on the oven, though.

No comments: