Some members of Pioneer Bible Translators visited us for dinner last night. They had finished their trauma counseling workshop, literacy training and reviewing the translation of the book of Matthew they were doing the past week and a half. I learned a bit from our conversations.
The Muro language is a written language with the full Bible and many books written in Muro. I just learned that it has been assumed that there are 7 dialects of Muro. Upon a closer look, it has been found that the dialects are separate languages in their own right.
The people who speak a language called “Muro Cado” are diligently trying to retain their language by having it written, having the Bible translated into it, and having songs shared in their language. Pioneer Bible Translators have been invited to help. With the dispersion of people, those who are displaced learn and function in the language of the people group with whom they are living. Some languages are being lost.
I hadn’t realized the amount of literacy and translation work still needed in
Once the languages are written, literacy workers are needed to teach people to read their mother tongue.
2 comments:
Karen, I love reading your blogs. Helps keep me grounded and with a world-view; not so navel-gazing! Yesterday, my 11 yr. old son Mark complained in his journal that after he finished his home-school; that he didn't have access to a computer or tv, so had to settle with READING! (he was at his dad's work). I reminded him today what a gift and privilege it is to even be able to read. I think I will have him read your blog. :-) - love, Lana Aris
Hello Massos!
I though I'd swing by your blog to see how life is in Sudan. It seems like you guys are getting your roots in. I think about you every time I feel hot because of my short time there. If I remember correctly you guys are in the hottest part of the year now. I'm praying for you. I'm fast approaching my final year of school which is a series of rotations. My first one is in New Mexico during the month of July. I think God is trying to break me of this heat hangup.
It's been a rough year and I'm happy to move from it to whatever is next in store for me.
-Nick Lazipone
(Lazipone@gmail.com)
Also I need to give credit where credit is due. I was honored to see my name at the bottom of your blog, but that photo was taken by Luke Myhre. I'm not yet that good with a camera.
Post a Comment